See Lola Run

An Italian-American citizen who is not very much of either but lives in Rome, anyway, and is not really sure where she's going next or if she's going at all.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Cumulonimbus

Leaning into the afternoons... so begins one of my favorite Neruda poems. Clouds were leaning this afternoon, reaching their smoky claws around the backs of trees and out of my visibility. I get nervous when I can't see the break in the horizon. It's a claustrophobic feeling, like the sky has encapsulated this certain part of the earth in an impenetrable cloud dome.

Thunderstorms fascinate me, and no sooner did I spot the cumulonimbuses did I haul butt to an Internet Access Point, to check weather.com. Just as I suspected. Observe Exhibit (A) on left. It dawned on me today that my fear and obsession with inclement weather may have something to do with a presage... death by tornado? lightening bolt? My prophetic presumptions are more often than not reliable. But this is just a hunch... I know when I know something and I don't know this.

Looking outside now this is not the severe thunderstorm I hoped to be watching. No lightening. Rain dripping from a leaky dreary heaven. Where are you, dazzling downpour splendor? wailing wind gusts? I need awe. I'd like to be inspired.

And I'm disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home